Dr Philip WHITBOURN OBE
These arms are a differencing of an old family blazon, which was recorded before 1860 at Doctors’ Commons. Once an important City institution in proving wills, Doctors’ Commons was dissolved after The Court of Probate Act of 1857 and its libarary was dispersed in 1861. A pre-1860 explanation notes stags as representing courage and as fighting to the last when pressed or cornered. By happy coincidence the chevron, which is French for rafter, reflects Dr Whitbourn’s background as a Conservation Architect and the sheaf of wheat his descent from yeoman farming stock.